Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Are there really second chances?

It would have been more painful; or perhaps crippling; fatal, even. But I came out of it whole, with nothing but a bruise and a scratch the size of a one peso coin to remind me I am one lucky girl. It is one of the more freaky coincidences that a friend (who didn't know anything yet) sent me the youtube link of this video -



I suppose it's God's way of telling me yet again that everything can be take from me, my breath including, with just one swift motion.

Precy and I made a pact never to tell anyone about my little accident in Macau. But then I had to tell my sister about it the same night. And here I am, writing about it.

You know how it is in right-hand traffic countries....
I, coming from a lefty country, by muscle recall and thoughtlessness in doing something very routinary of course looked to the left first before crossing the street. KABOOOOOOM!!!

I heard a loud banging sound. My water bottle flew in the air and landed a couple of meters away from me. The lady on the passenger seat looked at me with her jaw dropped, apparently terrified by what just happened. It took a while for me to realize I have been freaking hit by a car. The driver of the car got down (Precy had to help me recall this part of the story as I was majorly disoriented right after the incident) to check on me but what he said, aside from being indecipherable Chinese, simply slurred out of my consciousness. I instinctively just looked at my body, checking for its parts, making sure the limbs were still properly attached to the torso. But because my eyes were strained by the punishing summer heat and because I was still in shock, I did not get to check for bleeding, not that there was any. The last thing I checked before sending the driver away, absolved from his (my) carelessness was my camera. I did not remember a lot of things then but it was clear to me that Diesel (my SLR) got hit. After testing a few photos and seeing the preview function was still working, I immediately dismissed the driver who was obviously in great disbelief as I was. That was it. I did not get his ID, nor took note of his car plate. I just thought I'm lucky to be alive. If there was any reason for me to see a doctor, I figured I can just pay for it. Literally just a small price to pay for having my life spared.

I was still a little agitated during the ferry trip back to Hong Kong later that evening so I messaged my bestfriend, asking her to say a little prayer of gratitude for me. Her reply hit it spot on when she said buti na lang listo ang guardian angel mo. If there were a good way of getting hit as a pedestrian, that was probably it. (Twisted, huh?)

If i were to sensationalize, I would say I am now living on my second life. And you know what they say, those who have seen the light and managed to come back live their lives bolder and wiser the next time around. But I did not see no light. But heck, lemme live bolder and wiser just the same. I will not go on enumerating how I will. But I will.

I would like to end this entry by saying thank you to my dear ones who keep me in their prayers. I do not just cheat death with them but more importantly, I am able to live my everyday through your supplication. And to you, my reader, please count even your tiniest blessings. And no matter how short and simple, say a prayer for each of them :) After all, if your opportunity to do so has come to pass, are there really second chances?

No comments:

Post a Comment