Sunday, July 25, 2010

Marrying Off a Dear Friend

This (or an excerpt off it) would have been my speech during Tala and Pau's wedding. But being the choker that I am, I of course had to beg off from taking the mic…
***

This is gonna take a while so I hope you’re not running on an empty stomach…

Everybody in this room knows almost everyone, or at least, the person next to you or that guy across the room looks familiar. Everyone in this room has played a great role in the life of either Tala or Pau, or both of them. The guest count alone is very telling of the kind of people these guys are—sensible and kuripot.

I’m kidding. I suppose what it really tells us is that, us, the select few who have the honor of being here today to send off these two to their journey to infinity (with Sri Lanka as their first stop) have got to be really special people who’ve seen them through the many seasons of their lives.

I have seen Tala go through every human emotion possible. From mania to euphoria… bring it. But never have I seen her in this state of calm courage. Looking at her now, she is a picture of a woman who knows she had it lucky that Pau is the man who will hold her hand through the good and bad… and that he will never let go of that grip.

You gotta agree good things happen to good people. Look at you guys, I’m sure I’m speaking for everyone in this room, team Ocampo and team Supangco alike, that we cannot be any happier and more at peace with the idea that you guys ended up with each other. Aside from the mind blowing decibel levels of laughter you share, you guys are just an undeniably ideal match. Hahaba kase pag nag-enumerate pa ko ng reasons. I really just wanted to point out that one thing that sets you apart. Malakas talaga kayo tumawa.

And If I may share a story…
I remember, in the weeks leading to Pau’s proposal to Tala, she was obsessing about how she’d want Pau to ask her to marry him already. Alam nyo na, OC, demanding at mababa ang EQ. And we’d try to appease her by kidding, maybe he hasn’t saved up for a ring. Tala then just rolled her eyes and said “I don’t want a ring. I don’t need a ring. I just want to be with Pau forever…” And now you got your forever, didn’t you? And what a beautiful forever it will be...

***

I love you guys. The best is yet to come for you two. Know that I will forever be your loyal friend, crazy fan and vigilant prayer warrior in your life as husband and wife..

1 comment:

  1. Look what I found in the interwebs!!! You didn't tell me you wrote this! Or is it just amnesia by anesthesia? Four years after! Awww... Thank you. Really I said that? Hahaha! You should have taken the mic. I love you forever. I have YOU forever too right? That makes me a lucky lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete